Friday, November 19, 2010

How to deal with my Mum when she's being nasty about my appearance?

I frequently dye my hair and she always tells me it looks horrible, then won't let me justify why I like it. For example, its currently strawberry blonde (doesn't look trashy and is in good condition) and while she was sat next to me today she was saying how it looks horrible and just generally making fun of me. She makes jokes about my weight and my clothes too. She says it like its a joke but I know that she's being serious.



I'm 5'7';, 126lbs (UK size 10) so I know I'm not fat but her comments are hurtful, and its not nice when she's making jokes about my clothes and my hair too. I usually dress in skinny jeans and tops/tshirts, or leggings and tops and she's very demeaning, saying I never usually look nice. I do put effort into my appearance and my friends usually compliment me so I don't understand why she has to be so nasty.



I'm 17 and live at home. I would never change myself because of someone making fun of me but mother's shouldn't be like this towards their daughters. She's generally lovely but this winds me up. I don't let her know it gets to me because I don't want to look weak. What can I do?How to deal with my Mum when she's being nasty about my appearance?
your mom seems like a biiitch.

sorry. :/ look on the brightside though, at least your almost 18.How to deal with my Mum when she's being nasty about my appearance?
Tell her you don't appreciate her picking on you and how would she feel if the tables were reversed. Tell her it really ruins your self image and your beginning to believe it.
She's doing the best she can, from where she is. But it doesn't sound like she's doing very well.



Try to ask her probing, non-judgmental questions. Like: ';What is it you're trying to accomplish when you say things like X?'; ';how do you suppose that makes me feel?'; etc.
hmmm sounds like she's jealous of you but as a mother she shouldn't be like this towards you keep your head up just ignore her comments from the sounds of it your not overweight or anything like that be proud of the way you look and dress dont let anyone tell u different good luck:)
If you confront your mom about her rudeness, that's not being weak. That's standing up for yourself. You should ask her why she has to be so rude and mean. Your style is your style. You need to let your mom know that because no mom should be so discouraging to a daughter of any age.
Keep in mind that moms love their children more than anything. Your mom thinks your natural beauty is more attractive than your dyed hair, and that you dress sloppily, and she wants to help you. If I were your mom, I wouldn't have let you dye your hair to begin with, and I would pre-approve your clothing. However, she has given you free reign, and now her only recourse is to try to get you to make better choices on your own. It's a lose-lose situation. If I were you, I'd realize that you have been given a lot of freedom that not all girls have, and the consequence is that you have to put up with her comments.
I sort of have the same problem, but its just not as serious. Of course it will put you down. She shouldn't be saying those things to you. Talk to her and tell her how upset you get. Tell her that what you wear and dye you hair is your choice, I mean you are 17! Tell her that what ever she thinks about, she should keep to herself, because it brings down your confidence, her of all people shouldn't be doing that!

I hope it works out. Good Luck in telling her, it might be the only way she will stop. :) x
As long as you dont dress like a street worker, wear what you want
That is really sad that your own mom makes fun of u. Just talk to her about it.
Hmmm....you mom's being a jerk. My mother was similar for a while until I finally got fed up and told her to stop. She said it was something about me looking older than I am and how I'm ';growing up so fast'; and all that crap. You get the idea. That could be it...because moms are weird like that. Well at least your almost 18. ;)
I know exactly how you feel,my mom is the same way.She always makes fun of me,when my friends compliment me.Just break down and tell her.But I know that may not help.I hope it does.



-Kat
  • with current girlfriend
  • flavered nail polish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment