Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I tactfully handle my annoying doubles tennis partner?

I like to play round robin tennis. I am usually a stronger player than the person I play with but sometimes I get paired with weaker players on my side who like to criticize my style of play or even flat out tell me to change my game. I find it annoying that they would even suggest those things when they lose us far more points because of the way I play. I hit very hard and accurately and poach at the net a lot. Is there a tactful way I can suggest they shut up? It takes the fun out of the game.How do I tactfully handle my annoying doubles tennis partner?
LOL i have the same problem i haaaate that...i just ignore them and show that im getting really annoyed when they miss a point then they usually get the hintHow do I tactfully handle my annoying doubles tennis partner?
get a new partner.
If you like playing round robin tennis the unexpected is to be expected. As a strong player you must embrace all aspects of the game. Lack of mental toughness even criticism will chip away at your resolve. So embrace the challenges on the court, thank them for their input and unleash your tennis prowess. Shut up those who are negative about your game with your flawless play.
if you play against people that you know, tell them that you are gonna give them easy overheads, and tell them to hit it as hard as they can at your partner at the net. have them do it like 5 times in a row, and laugh every time it happens. make eye contact with your partner and laugh, but do not say anything.
';Accidentally'; clock him in the face with a ball.
I would ask them how much they are charging me! Ha ha! There is nothing worse than a know it all on the court. It makes you feel like they think they know the game better and are a better player than you. I usually try and put this person on singles!
its part of tennis your going to have to live with it, just keep thinking to your self your a good player and you wont get annoyed, if it obstructs the game then perhaps say something
Tell one of those guys to shut up in front of a crowd and no one will tell you how to play anymore
Just do not answer them. In other words do not respond at all, they will soon get sick of giving advice.
You are a much better person than I am. I have lost may friends, due to lack of tact. I have several stories, and I don't intend to change much. I am older and set in my ways. I see this one kid does that to my son, and my son is a better player. He is trying to be helpful, but mostly he is annoying. I guess we all just want to be left alone to learn on our own. I would suggest reverse psychology. Start laying into him, all his mistakes.
Get your coach/trainer to mediate because he/she is the only person who can see you play
If ignoring them isn't possible, because either their persistent, or just bug you that much, I would just say very politely 'I appreciate your advice, but I'm happy with my game as it is.' If they keep on ';suggesting'; improvements just say something like 'I find the talking between points very distracting. Let's keep talk focused on the match.' If that doesn't work, you always act like you don't speak English...

No comments:

Post a Comment