Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How to change table collation in phpMyAdmin?

Hello @ all, please help me, I am a Newbe, I have created an account at my US web host and then I installed Wordpress through Fantastico. Then I have installed and activated the plug-in Language Switcher. I cannot publish posts in Russian or Korean language, they are all displayed as ????. It's because of the table collation that is set. It currently is set to latin1_swedish_ci. If I login to phpmyadmin of the cpanel account, then look at the wordpress database and specifically the collation of the tables, I see this. Solution shall be this answer: ';If select all the tables then do operations you can change this to the character set you need which is probably a UTF 8 one of some kind. '; I don't know what exactly I have to do and what I have to change and where. Do I have to change

latin1_swedish_ci

into

utf8_general_ci

if I want to publish Russian and Korean text on my Wordpress website? What exactly do I need to do? Please answer like you do to a complete dumb person with all steps. Thank you so much! I need you guys!How to change table collation in phpMyAdmin?
It's a bit tedious, but if you're using phpMyAdmin, follow these steps:



1. Locate your database on the left frame, and click it. Your database information should now appear on the main (right) frame, and the left frame should change to a list of all the tables.

2. Click on a table on the left frame. This time, the table's information should appear in the main frame with a list of the fields/columns. If not, click the ';Structure'; tab on the main frame.

3. Click the ';Check All'; below the list of fields, and all the fields on the table should now be marked.

4. Click the ';Change'; icon, the one that looks like a pencil at the right of `With Selected`.

5. You will now be presented with a form which allows you to modify the selected fields. What you're interested in is the ';Collation'; row. Change each collation to utf_general_ci (only for those with an existing collation already). Press save once done.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 for each of your tables.



This is using phpMyAdmin 3.1.1, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment