Friday, November 19, 2010

Exclusive breastfeeding and going back to work... how did you do it?

I've been on maternity leave since March 19th. My second daughter was born the 23rd, and here I am with less than a week before I have to be back at my desk. :(



I had an extremely rocky start breastfeeding. I was determined not to give up - I quit very soon with my first and have always regretted it. Anyway, I had a lot of trouble with pain from direct nursing, and with my skin breaking down. My daughter had a good latch, but I still had blisters and cracks all over my nipples. There were several weeks where I pumped exclusively when I could not bear the pain. My daughter is 10 weeks old tomorrow, and it has only been within the last 3 weeks or so that I've been able to get her to latch back on (we've had moments where she refused my breast in favor of expressed milk in a bottle, but I've worked hard to get her to nurse, and so far it's looking good - and no more pain!!). Now that I have her nursing directly, I feel even more adamant to continue breastfeeding. The only obstacle is me going back to work. I feel like as soon as I get the hang of it - boom, everything is going to change again.



I have over 200oz of milk stored in the freezer, and at least another 40 in the fridge, ready to be frozen. I know how to pump effectively, so that's not an issue. I'm just interested in hearing stories from other working moms about how you made it work out in the long term - my schedule is 7:30 to 4 (sometimes I have to do overtime), and I have a 45 minute commute one way, so it's looking like I'm going to be pumping again a lot. :(



Thanks, for any helpful tips....Exclusive breastfeeding and going back to work... how did you do it?
I'm fortunate that my work has a nursing room I can use for pumping. We have onsite daycare, but my daughter is staying home with Daddy while I work. I pump before my shift starts, then 3 hours later, 2.5 hours after that and again 2.5 hours later. That gets me close enough to the end of my shift that I can make it home and feed her as soon as I get there. I've found that as I stay in a set schedule for pumping I'm making more and more milk and am able to pump faster. Ask your supervisor if instead of an hour for lunch and 2 15 minute breaks, if you can take 3 30 minute breaks instead. It gives you time to pump and time to clean the pump.



Good luck to you.Exclusive breastfeeding and going back to work... how did you do it?
I am only in the office 3x a week, luckily, but so far so good (three months back at work). I had some issues with supply at first when I was pumping every 3 hours at work for 15 minutes. Now I pump every 2-2.5 hours for only 10 minutes and my supply is much better. I've also been taking a fenugreek tincture.



The hardest thing is fitting pumping in between meetings. I also share the nursing mother's room with a few other nursing moms in my company, so I'm held to the times I book my room. I plan to nurse my baby until she's a year old, but I'd be thrilled to keep nursing until she's two.



Sounds like you've got lots of reserves - you should be fine! Best of luck to you.
I'd try finding a daycare near your job and feed her on your brakes.
Well what worked for me was when i was home all we did was nurse. My baby was also 13 months when i went back to work so she could go longer between nursings.

also have you found a bottle/nipple that is more like the breast? that may help her to transition back and forth.

You can do this hun. It'll be a different normal.. but you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment