Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Register coming up short? Going to get fired?

So I have been working there for 8+ months now. Since I started I only got talked to maybe about 5 times about my register being short or over (3 out of 5 times someone else had rang on my register for those people) but it was never too much.



Now this past month (literally just a month) everyone except for maybe 2 cashiers have gotten on final (that means the drawer was short/over 3 times for each person). And finally now so have I just in the past 3 weeks. I know I make mistakes sometimes but I feel like something is not right there is no way I am this stupid, in fact I know there is no way I am making such big mistakes with money.



Every time my drawer has been short (so three times since I'm on final) its been short 30 bucks 30 ******* DOLLARS?! I dont think so.



I'm not the brightest bulb but I know how to count and I just can't believe it. Especially since everyone is on final and I'm pretty sure when a drawer comes up short its the same manager counting.



Well I'm probably going to get fired because guess what? my drawer was 35 dollars short today even though I only rang for 3 hours and I COUNTED CHANGE TWICE each time.



FML.



Is there anything I can do about this?

Do you think there might be theft going on, I can honestly say I have not taken anything.

If I do get fired will other places still hire me? Should I quit before they can fire me?



Argh this sucks.Register coming up short? Going to get fired?
If everyone is coming up short something does 'ring right'...



Ask to do a drawer count with your manager to verify your totals with two present.Register coming up short? Going to get fired?
It's not unheard of that the manager of a business shorts the drawers. I'd speak to an attorney if I were you. At least see what your rights are. (The initial consultation should be free.)



(Never do a ';2 person count'; - make sure there's witness.)
You don't say what type of business this is, or what their cash handling procedures are, or what type of terminal equipment they have. But regardless, it sounds to me like there is some dishonesty going on. If this is a big retailer (e.g. Target) there are cameras above each register and those could be reviewed to see if something is going on at that level.



I assume you are counting it before your shift and it is OK then. And I assume you are present to observe when the final count takes place. If you suspect it is the manager who is doing this during the counting, then you and any other cashiers who suspect something need to talk to another manager about it. If you get fired, I would say you want to appeal (or whatever process your employer allows) or at the very least make sure it gets put on your record that you suspect theft. That way, when the manager gets caught (and they will) you will have documentation to clear your name.
somebody is stealing from the registers, probably the scumbag doing the counting. contact the owner. my guess is that most if not all of the register shortages are occurring when a particular person is on duty; probably the mgr, but not necessarily.

video surveillance is a wonderful thing.
Be meticulous when cashiering. Since it is a round amount such as 30 or 35 bucks it appears that someone is reaching into the till. There maybe theft going on. There is little an employer can ask or say about you. But there is a clearing house of back ground checks similar to that of truck drivers and employers do look at it. And yes you could be fired fair or not.
If numerous people are having the same problem, it is very possible that some aspect of the operation has a loophole through which someone is taking advantage.



If you ever feel afraid of being fired, call for an investigation, ask for cameras, ask for a review of how the terminal works, ensure that you count your float before starting, lock the till during breaks with the whereabouts of any other security / master key accounted for, be present and very vigilant during the final count (if you are not allowed, this is good grounds for arguing that you can not be held responsible) and highlight the fact that others are experiencing the same problem repeatedly. If your company does not allow an investigation, especially if you are fired, go to the labor authorities and police and make a statement that you suspect theft. Get others to submit a report as well. If they are afraid, let them consider affidavits which protect people's identity.



In fact, it might be a good idea to partner with a few other cashiers who are honest. However, choose these people carefully. Chances are, others are afraid like you and will be relieved not to have to face this situation alone. Additionally, management will have a harder time victimizing any single person.
First of all, you need to speak to the manager about the lack of proper cash handling procedures. Before becoming a paralegal, I was a cash office manager for major retail chain.



Under no circumstances is someone else supposed to use your drawer!!! You probably signed a document saying this in your orientation and didn't care to really read what it says. It sounds like the supervisors and managers at your place of business are lazy and trying to cut corners. It makes more work for them to issue a drawer each time someone changes shift.



I would immediately write a letter to the manager and hand deliver it to her/him for your file protesting this. Keep a copy for yourself. State exactly what has been happening. State that you are being forced to allow multiple people to use your drawer and from now on, you would like to count your drawer before your shift, after your shift, and that no one else be allowed to ring on it.



Either one of two things is going to happen. You're going to get fired because of the past mistakes, or you might actually get to prove that it isn't you handing out the wrong change.



I think if you explain to potential employers that you were forced to allow other people to ring on your drawer, you weren't allowed to count the drawer prior to your shift, or when you ended your shift, you may be granted leniency. I know when I hired, I gave people a second chance and more times than not...there were someone crooked at their last place because money was never an issue.



Good luck and don't let them treat you this way. You are responsible for that cash and someone is stealing. Demand that you are able to count before, after and that you want someone to sign off on it. That is the way cash drawers are SUPPOSED to be handled. This place is doing a poor job. Report them to the higher ups if you have to. I think your suspicions are right. They are trying to peg it on the employees.
  • AJAX in .net
  • email
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment