Monday, June 6, 2011

Help with religious views?

I did not have a religious upbringing; both of my parents are atheists, and nearly all of my friends are too. I know a few Christians, but I don't think any of them are practising, they were just raised Christian, and I can only think of one who I know goes to church regularly.



Since I was a kid however I've always kind of believed in God, not in a way that I can really explain; My knowledge and reason has always been kind of scientific- I believe in evolution, I can't justify disapproving of someone else's lifestyle unless it will cause harm to someone else, and I'm still undecided about abortion - fortunately I've never been called on to make that kind of decision, but I'm pretty certain I could not justify it for me, as it it feels against my moral code, but likewise I cannot bring myself to prevent other people from it.



That said, as I have moved into my twenties, my vague belief in God as a creator has grown, I'm still undecided on the whole big bang theory, but I am sure that God was the cause of everything coming into existence, however it happened. At university, I studied physics and was always drawn towards sub-atomic physics and found that as I learnt more, and found out how little we actually know, my degree began to reinforce my beliefs.



I have to say that my main attraction to religion is the teachings on interpersonal relations - I have always tried to do the right thing, and think it's really important that people are as good to each other as possible, and that so many of the problems in the world are caused by people putting themselves before other people and doing what they know to be wrong.



This has been something that has been growing inside of me for sometime, and I have done much reading, from Buddhist texts, the I Ching, many many philosophy texts, The Qu'ran, the New Jerusalem Bible, and the King James Bible. I even read the God Delusion which just confirmed my beliefs!



I know I am religious, and that I believe in God and many messages of the Church, I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do next; This can be such an emotive issue, and people can get so defensive of their views that they can forget the underlying messages of their faith, and I don't really know enough about the individual sects of Christianity to make an informed decision. If anyone has been through a similar thing and could offer some advice it would be a huge help!



Oh and just for any one planning to try and change my mind, I do respect your views, and I can understand them, but for me, this just feels right, so by all means give me your views, but try not to be offensive!



Thanks in advance everyone!Help with religious views?
God is in each and every one of us at our conception...the feelings you have are correct and can be further examined by finding a church that feels right to you ( you will know by the discernment that God has already given you).. I felt for most of my life that I didn't need a church to believe..the truth is that my church family supports and strengthens me with their views and understanding of His word. If you ask the Lord to help you understand where you are and where to go He will. I pray God's mercy and grace for you.Help with religious views?
Let God inform you.



All you need is the Bible and to seek God through His word. Is He not able to reveal to you and to lead you? Does it not depend upon your heart and desire to seek Him?



He is able to open it to you so seek for Him to. But be ready for God to show you that you are a sinner and in need.



Christ called seventeen times to follow Him yet how few do, and they set up a religion instead. Did He not say, Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.





Few there be that find it.



And He is the way. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.



So obviously it is He Who you should find and obtain.









First find Him before you go chasing after 'denominations' which may well have fallen away from the truth.







And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.



That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.



And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
I did do a lot of searching through different sects/denominations of Christianity before I got where I am now: you and I seem to have some of the same views with science/reason.



If you message me and tell me more about what you believe and are looking for in a church I should be able to help you.



God bless,

Jack
Live by what you believe and never stop questioning...
In your paragraph 2... At least you have good morals that will go a long way.



In your paragraph 3... lets reason for a second and we can blow the big bang theory right out the window. A person can put wood, screws, nails, windows, doors, shingles, concrete. inside a box for a billion years (big bang theory) and shake it up, blow it up or even dream it up but it still would NEVER create a house. It has to have a maker. How much more so than Humans, the Earth, the Atmosphere or the Heavens.

And Genesis 1:1 shows that God created the heavens and the earth. If you finish the reading of chapt. 1 you will see the other things he created.



In your paragraph 4.... There is hope for you (me too for that matter) for the very same thing that you just said is shown to be from Matthew 7:12... The Golden Rule. And the last part you said from Ecclesiastes 8:9.

All of this shows me that you are a THINKING person. You are to be commended.



In your paragraph 5... There are many books even Ecclesiastes 12:12 makes mention of this but I think you know which is the most important book for it contains God's very thoughts.



Paragraph 6... Read the book of Proverbs starting with chapt 1 So that you can see where true wisdom comes from and Pray to God to show you what to do next. For John 17:3 shows us what it means to have everlasting life... The Study and Knowledge of 2 VERY important persons.

No comments:

Post a Comment